Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wildflower photography

I finally invested in a new lens for my Nikon D40. I bought a macro 70mm to 300mm zoom by Tamron. Living in a small town, most of my purchases like this come from EBay. So I had bid on several before I got this one. Good news is that I got a good deal on it from a member who had bought it only a couple of months earlier and then received a Nikon zoom for Father's Day. So it is in perfect condition and I couldn't tell that it had ever been used.

Nothing like a new toy to get you going again! My first experiments were with the macro function. The first photograph above is an extreme zoom on a dandelion head. The second is on a wildflower in a field near Taylor Park, Colorado. The first rule in using a strong zoom, is use a tripod. The second, third, and fourth rules are use a tripod, use a tripod, and use a tripod. The zoom not only magnifies the subject, but also any movement. The constant wind also made getting a clear shot a challenge.

We drove over to Crested Butte to get more wildflower shots and came across a herd of horses just north of town. They were in a valley below us, with some nice wildflowers on the slope between us. I was able to use my new zoom to get a couple of more good shots, again using my tripod!

Check out my website for more of my outdoor photography of Arizona and Colorado.
http://www.mountainsandcanyons.com/

Learn how to take great photographs!
Click Here!

No comments:

Post a Comment