Sunday, August 2, 2009

Wigwam Motel

I am about to have one of my photographs published in a newsletter published by the Arizona Office of Tourism. Their manager of creative services found my photograph of the Wigwam Motel on Flickr and asked permission to use it in an upcoming newsletter promoting travel on old Route 66.


The Wigwam Motel is a unique motel in northern Arizona, where, as advertised on numerous highway billboards, you can "sleep in a wigwam tonight." The motel received a boost from the animated movie, Cars, which featured a small town motel with traffic cone shaped rooms. The Wigwam capitalized on this exposure by bringing in vintage cars closely matching those in the movie and parking them in front of the rooms.


The Galaxy 500 and Impala were two of my favorites. My earliest childhood memory of our family car was of an Impala like this, only a kind of rusty brown color. And my Grandpa Doode had a yellow Galaxy 500, predictably called "Old Yeller."


I also liked the old Pontiac, at least the cool hood ornament. And of course, everyone likes 'Mater from the movie.

I also got some good photographs of the neon signs in front of the motel, using a no flash setting, and long exposure. And of course a tripod. Converting the photograph to black and white in Photoshop gave it a more nostalgic look.




You can see more of my photographs of Arizona at my website.
http://www.mountainsandcanyons.com/

Learn to take better digital photographs instantly with this photography course.
Click Here!


No comments:

Post a Comment